Today is not just the 7th day of Chinese New Year but it’s also “everybody’s birthday”. And so, “HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!” We usually celebrate birthday with a nice birthday cake but for this ‘special birthday’, Chinese celebrate with a colorful “Yee Sang” (鱼生) platter.
A superbly colorful Yee Sang platter. If you don’t already know, Yee Sang consists of pickles, shredded vegetables, lime, abalone, raw fish (salmon), raw cuttlefish and various types of sauce.
Why do we have Yee Sang during Chinese New Year? It is said that Yee Sang will bring abundant prosperity and good fortune to those who eat it….now that you know, go eat more Yee Sang!
How to eat Yee Sang(鱼生) or Lou Sang (撈生)? All you have to do is mix and toss the ingredients as high as you can with the chopsticks. The higher you toss, the greater the prosperity you will enjoy throughout the year But, Tips : make sure you place plates around the Yee Sang platter so that it won’t be messy after the prosperity toss.
Below are some of the famous Chinese New Year wishes that you can shout when you do your Lou Sang (撈生) / Prosperity Toss:-
1) 恭喜发财 (Gong Xi Fa Cai) – Congratulations and Prosperity
2) 万事如意 (Wanshi Ruyi) – Everything goes well
3) 和气生财 (Heqi Shengcai) – Harmony brings wealth
4) 心想事成 (Xin Xiang Shi Cheng) – May all your wishes come true
5) 财源广进 (Caiyuan Guang Jin) – Money and treasures will be plentiful
6) 岁岁平安 (Sui Sui Ping An) – Peace all year round
7) 招财进宝 (Zhao Cai Jin Bao) – Treasures fill the home
8) 年年有馀 (Nian Nian You Yu) – Wishing you prosperity every year
9) 升官发财 (Sheng Guan Fa Cai) – Promoting to a higher position
10) 马到成功 (Ma Dao Cheng Gong) – Wishing you every success