Saimatkong Supports Earth Hour 2011 – Switch off your lights!
What is Earth Hour? Do not know what’s Earth Hour? Read below to understand more.
You know and aware of Earth Hour? Do your part then. =)
Earth Hour is a global event organized by WWF (World Wide Fund for Nature, also known as World Wildlife Fund) and is held on the last Saturday of March annually, asking households and businesses to turn off their non-essential lights and other electrical appliances for one hour to raise awareness towards the need to take action on climate change. Earth Hour was conceived by WWF and The Sydney Morning Herald in 2007, when 2.2 million residents of Sydney participated by turning off all non-essential lights. Following Sydney’s lead, many other cities around the world adopted the event in 2008. Earth Hour 2011 will take place on March 26, 2011 from 8:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m., at participants’ respective local time.
Source : Wikipedia
Earth Hour is about taking simple steps everyday that collectively reduce carbon emissions – from businesses turning off their lights when their offices are empty to households turning off appliances rather than leaving them on standby.
What Will You Be Doing During The Earth Hour?
Here are 10 different ways to spend Earth Hour and reduce your carbon footprint:
1. Attend a local Earth Hour event or organise your own by throwing an Earth Hour street party with your neighbours
2. Gather family & friends for a night picnic in your local park and look at the stars
3. Enjoy a family dinner by candlelight
4. Organise a treasure hunt in the dark
5. Take the dog for a night walk
6. Have a candle-lit bath
7. Sit in the dark and share stories
8. Organise a family night playing board games
9. Share a romantic night in with your loved one
10. Upload your ‘on the night’ photos and videos to flickr and YouTube respectively, and then add them to the Earth Hour flickr group and the global YouTube Group.
If you have nothing to do or you want to join the crowd, you could join Earth Hour at Sunway Pyramid.
WWF-Malaysia invites members of the public to stand together with the world in a global celebration of the one thing that unites us all – our living planet. From its inception as a single-city initiative in 2007, Earth Hour has grown into a global movement where hundreds of millions of people from every continent join together to acknowledge the importance of protecting our planet. Earth Hour 2010 was the largest voluntary action for the environment in history with lights going out across 128 countries and over 4,500 cities worldwide.
Come celebrate Earth Hour 2011 on Saturday 26th March 2011 at the Oasis Boulevard, Ground Floor in Sunway Pyramid. Look out for our team at the WWF-Malaysia booth.
Meet the panda mascot and catch sneak previews of the “Dance in the Dark” for Earth Hour at 1:00pm, 3:00pm and 5:00pm
* From 10:00am to 10:00pm, learn more about WWF-Malaysia’s work, pledge to “Live Green” as well as grab your Earth Hour T-shirt (all sales proceeds will go towards WWF-Malaysia’s conservation work)
* Join the “Dance in the Dark” during Earth Hour (8:30pm to 9:30pm); let’s make this a huge, fun dance event for a green cause that Malaysians will always remember! Dance steps will be posted on www.facebook.com/wwfmy soon.
For queries, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Source : WWF Malaysia
Earth Hour 2011 on 26th March prepares to showcase a growing global community committed to taking environmental actions that go beyond the hour. From now until Earth Hour 2012, WWF-Malaysia is urging everyone across the nation to take Earth Hour beyond the hour by signing up at wwf.org.my and pledging to “Live Green: One switch at a time”; taking simple actions towards a more sustainable lifestyle.
Earth Hour Malaysia Resources
Website – http://www.earthhour.org/
WWF Malaysia – http://www.wwf.org.my/
Youtube – http://www.youtube.com/earthhour
Twitter – http://twitter.com/earthhour
Facebook (Profile) – http://www.facebook.com/earthhour
Besides that, where will you be this Saturday during the Earth Hour? Some ppl suggest that go Lookout Point @ Ulu Langat or any hill side that can have an overview of Kuala Lumpur and take photo or even video of the history moment and I guess it will be awesome?! yeah where will you be?
This is the comic strip that I still remember, it’s from 2009 Earth Hour. Do take note of the safety too ya don’t just off all the lights and crime might just awaiting to be happened. Remember to locked all the doors and stay alert! =)