BlackBerry Messenger – BBM Version 5
What is BlackBerry Messenger?
BlackBerry Messenger is simply an instant messaging program for BlackBerry to BlackBerry communication. It allows two people with BlackBerrys to chat in real time anywhere in the world so long as they have data service. With BlackBerry Messenger there is no per message charge like there is with SMS, messages are sent through RIM servers similar to email messages. It’s absolutely free, so BlackBerry user can start to chat like there’s no tomorrow.
Start talking with BlackBerry Messenger
1. The first time you log into BlackBerry Messenger, you’ll be prompted to create a display name and password.
2. Once your display name and password are created, you’ll log into BlackBerry Messenger automatically each time your BlackBerry smartphone is connected to a wireless network.
Start using BlackBerry Messenger
– Add a contact:
o By scanning a barcode: on the contact list screen, press the Menu key. Click Invite Contact, then click Scan a person’s barcode. Click Continue. Hold your smartphone so all four corners of the barcode appear on your screen. Continue to hold your smartphone until you hear the success beep.
o By typing an email address or PIN: on the contact list screen, press the Menu key. Click Invite Contact, then click Enter a person’s email address, PIN or name. Type all or part of the contact information. Click the contact information. Change the Send Using and Category fields if necessary. Click Send.
o That uses text messaging1: on the contact list screen, press the Menu key. Click Invite Contact, then click Enter an SMS contact’s name or phone number. Type all or part of the contact information. Click the contact information. Change the Category field and type the name you want to appear in your BlackBerry Messenger contact list if necessary. Click Add Contact.
– Start a chat: on the contact list screen, in a contact category, click a contact. Type a message, then press the Enter key.
– Start a new group chat: on the contact list screen, in the BlackBerry Groups category, click a group. Click Chats. Press the Menu key, then click New Chat. Type a subject for the group chat. Click Create.
– Send a file to a contact: during a chat, press the Menu key, then click Send File:
o Send a picture: click Picture. Click Camera or File. Take a picture or click a picture. Type a caption if necessary. Click Send.
o Send a document: click File. Click a file.
o Send a voice note: click Voice Note. Click Start to record your message. Click Stop if necessary. Click Send.
o Send a contact attachment of a contact from the contacts application: click BlackBerry Contact. Click a contact.
o Send a contact attachment of a BlackBerry Messenger contact: click Messenger Contacts. Click one or more contacts. Click OK.