New RM50 Note & Special Edition – Ringgit Malaysia
Have you seen or been using the new RM50 notes? It’s out few months back and now it’s widely use I guess. Even when you withdraw from all the major ATM, you will be getting new RM50 note instead of the old one.
The RM50 note gets a makeover with enhanced anti-forgery security features and a design theme reflecting how far Malaysia has moved up the economic value chain after 50 years of independence.
The illustrations on the note include oil palm trees and microbiology technology, representing Malaysia’s economic transformation to the higher value-added activities in the agricultural, manufacturing, services and other sectors. The front retains the portrait of the first king, Tuanku Abdul Rahman Tuanku Muhammad, on the right. The national hibiscus flower is in the centre.
Songket patterns frame the background and edges of the note to reflect traditional Malaysian textile handicraft and embroidery. The issuance of the new RM50 notes also commemorates Malaysia 50th independence anniversary.
On the back, first Prime Minister Tunku Abdul Rahman is featured raising his hand in proud declaration of Merdeka!
The security features incorporated in the Fourth Series of RM50 banknotes are as follows :
* The Watermark Portrait can be recognised by tints that are lighter or darker than the surrounding paper. This watermark portrait which has a three-dimensional effect appears without sharp outlines. At the base of the watermark, the numeral 50 is clearly visible.
* The Security Thread is embedded in the paper and appears on the reverse side of the note as a silver coloured dotted line. When the note is held against the light, it is seen as a continuous dark coloured line and the repeated text BNM RM50 can be read. When viewed under ultra-violet light, the thread is seen in various changing colours known as the “rainbow effect”.
* Micro-Letterings of “BNM RM50″ which can be viewed under a magnifying glass.
* Invisible Fluorescent Elements can be seen through various elements of the background on the obverse and reverse side of the banknote and will fluoresce in different colours when viewed under ultra-violet light.
* Perfect See-Through Register feature where the graphic songket design on the obverse side of the note will register perfectly with the same graphic songket design on the reverse side when it is held against the light.
* Multicolour Latent Image of the denomination 50 can be seen when the banknote is tilted slightly and the colour changes when it is rotated.
* Holographic Stripe features the denomination 50 and the hibiscus flower, with a multi-coloured pumping and matt-structure effect.
* Hidden image with moiré effect where certain areas of the design appearance will change when the banknote is copied.
Members of the public are advised to take note of the security features and design of the new RM50 notes outlined above. The existing series of the RM50 banknotes will continue to be legal tender. For more info can visit www.bnm.gov.my
There is the logo of the 50th Independence anniversary in this special edition note. I myself also did not notice about this till I someone told me about this. I actually have this special edition note during the CNY, Ang Pau =p. So do take a look next time when you receive the new note whether it’s the special edition with the stated logo or not, if yes then keep it! =)